Monday, November 23, 2009

Turkey 101

I'm "guest blogging" my dear sister Terri today who said she would like me to share some thoughts on making a proper turkey for Thanksgiving. There is one word that I want to share with you. BRINE. If your turkey is not brined overnight it ain't worth eating. I know that is a strong statement. But I have tried it both ways... TRUST ME. There is no replacement for a good old salt/sugar soak. That is the secret to a good brine. It must be a sugar/salt combination. The sugar will promoting browning of the turkey skin in ways that you just cannot imagine.

Also... buy a DIGITAL THERMOMETER. Turkey needs to be removed from oven when it reads 165 degrees. If you wait until that little button pops out on your turkey... I am telling you, all that button tells you that your turkey is over cooked. Cook that bird until the thigh reads 165 degrees. TRUST ME. Not 185 degrees.

My Special Brine Recipe
2 quarts (8 cups) vegetable stock
3/4 cup Kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup brown sugar (or honey)
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
2 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
2 tablespoon dried thyme
2 quarts cold water

Mix together and soak turkey for 24 hours in the fridge. Use a big bucket. Drain after 24 hours and pat dry inside and out. Brush on melted butter, salt and pepper too. Then, simply follow your favorite recipe and bake as you desire (but only until the internal temp reads 165 degrees).

Hooray and Happy Turkey Day!
Katie

5 comments:

sammonsjay said...

Katie-
YUMMMY. I brine every year and totally agree.

One question - what is the ideal temperature for a turkey breast (instead of a whole turkey)?

Can't wait to see you soon!
Jay

Lilly St Studios said...

Katie I have never heard of brine(ing) a Turkey before - might just give it a go this year and see !

Unknown said...

Katie,

I am going to try this for TGing. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Carey M.

vickiwind said...

I'm going to try it this year too. Mom will be so happy I've finally come around to brining!! Now I just need to find a bucket large enough...

Katie Renton said...

Jay... breast will be about 180 degrees
xoxo